10th Harrogate Scouts

Home > 10th Harrogate Scouts

10th Harrogate Scouts

The 10th Harrogate (St. Wilfrid’s) Walsh’s Own Scout Group has been in Harrogate since 1909. It seems incredible that our Scout Group started 100 years ago with the formation of the 10th Harrogate Scout Troop at Clifton House School a mere 2 years after the first experimental camp at Brownsea Island.

Given that this was in a time where there was no television, radio and telephones were in their infancy it is amazing how quickly the Scouting ethos had spread across the country! During the time that 10th Harrogate was based at Clifton House School the only Chief Scout from Harrogate was a Scout in the troop! This was a young man who joined the army rising to the rank of Major General and then became the 6th Chief Scout what an achievement for Michael Walsh.

Since 1978 the Group has been sponsored by and is based at St Wilfrid’s Parish Church on Duchy Road. Surprisingly enough, although during this time the Group has seen a great manages changes, with Cubs and Beavers being added along with a Venture Unit opening and closing when Ventures were disbanded and replaced by Explorer and Network Scouts, it has stayed true to the basic principles of scouting as set out by Robert Baden-Powell.